Benefits of a Postpartum Doula
A lot of people are aware of what a Birth Doula is and what they do, but rarely do we ever hear anyone talk about Postpartum Doulas. Most people I come across have no idea what a Postpartum Doula is or even does.
There are a lot of benefits of having a Postpartum Doula, lets dive into what I feel are the top 10 benefits!
1. Support for the whole family
- A Postpartum Doula is there to help the whole family adjust to the new baby; from educating them on basic newborn care or offering support and guidance on issues they may be having.
- Having an adequate amount of sleep is crucial in surviving the newborn stage. Postpartum Doulas allow the parents to catch up on the sleep they so desperately need.
3. Guidance with postpartum emotions
- Postpartum Doulas are a listening ear for new Moms who may be struggling with their emotions. They are there to provide a nonjudgmental safe space where a new mom can let out her emotions. Postpartum Doulas are trained to look for signs of Postpartum Depression and refer out to trained professionals so that the Mom can receive the proper care she needs.
4. Help with breast and bottle feeding
- If a baby is having minor latching issues Postpartum Doulas are able to help educate parents on achieving a perfect latch. If latching issues are not improving Postpartum Doulas are able to refer new parents out to the appropriate specialists so that the baby is receiving appropriate care.
- They are also trained in identifying other feeding issues that may occur in those first few weeks/months, and if needed they will refer the parents out for help.
- They are also making sure the breastfeeding Mom is eating and hydrating herself adequately so that she does have the energy to feed her baby.
5. Light house cleaning and meal preparation
- Probably one of my most favorite benefits of having a Postpartum Doula :) because let’s be real…our houses do not get the attention it needs during the newborn phase, so when someone comes in and can tidy up your house while your catching up on sleep is glorious! Not only do some Postpartum Doulas do light house keeping they can also help with meal preparation so that you do not have to worry about when the next time you’ll eat or worry about having to prepare a meal for you and your family.
6. Given evidence based information on all things newborn and postpartum
- You can trust in the information that is provided to you by your Doula to be factual and appropriate to your situation.
7. Encourages self-care
- Haven’t taken a shower or brushed your teeth in days? Fear not, Postpartum Doulas are there to help look after and support new Moms with self-care. As Postpartum Doulas we are aware of the necessity of self-care for a new Mom.
8. An Advocate for Moms
- Your Postpartum Doula will be by you side advocating and cheering you on while providing the necessary support that you are needing and asking for.
9. Assist in helping siblings adjust to the new baby
- Worried about your older Kiddo(s) and the new baby? Your Doula can provide you with the support so that you are able to spend one on one time with your older kiddo(s), and when your focus is on the baby they are there to keep the other kids entertained while you are tending to the baby.
- Overall Moms who have hired Postpartum Doulas have reported to have less stress and an easier time adjusting to life with a newborn.